Confucius China Study Plan (Fellowships for PhD Program) 2013, Xiamen University
In order to foster deep understanding of China and the Chinese culture among young elites from around the world, enable the prosperous growth of China studies, promote the sustainable development of Confucius Institutes, and enhance the friendly relationship between China and the people of other countries, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (the Headquarters) has set up the “Confucius China Study Plan”. Xiamen University is one of the 14 Chinese host universities that are designated by the Headquarters.
Xiamen University (XMU) was established in 1921 by the well-known patriotic overseas Chinese leader Tan Kah Kee . XMU is recognized as a first-class national university with an international reputation and ranks among the top 20 of over 2,000 universities and colleges in China . X MU campuses are situated around the Xiamen Bay , opposite Taiwan across the Taiwan Strait , commanding a beautiful view of green hills and the blue sea . It boasts the most beautiful campuses in China , even in Asia .
The Plan consists of six subprograms. The majority of financial support is provided through support of specific research and other projects on designated academic areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. “Sino-foreign Joint PhD Subprogram” and “PhD in China Subprogram” will be the first two subprograms carried out in 2013.
1. Sino-foreign Joint PhD Subprogram: to sponsor newly registered or current PhD students from a foreign university to pursue 1-2 years of studies in a Chinese university. Students who successfully complete the program will receive their PhD degree either from the foreign university or from both Chinese and foreign universities simultaneously. In general, eligible candidates should be under forty and their HSK test score no less than level 3.
2. PhD in China Subprogram: to sponsor foreign students to pursue PhD degree at a Chinese university. In general, eligible candidates should be under forty and their HSK test score no less than level 5.
According to their study plan, students who participate in the above two subprograms may choose their specific research topics and Chinese supervisors (lists attached) in Chinese universities that are designated by the Headquarters.
II. Qualification Requirements
· Non-Chinese nationality
· In good health condition
· Have necessary Chinese communication competence. Candidates of outstanding Chinese proficiency will be given priority over other competitors of similar qualifications.
· A pplicants who are currently participating in Chinese Government Scholarship are not eligible to apply for this Plan.
III. Application Documents
• Sino-Foreign Joint PhD Subprogram: Applicants shall submit theirSino-Foreign Joint PhD Subprogram Application Form , PhD study certificate, 1 recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute in host countries, 2 recommendation letters from relevant experts, the HSK transcript or the equivalent transcript from the Confucius Institute and a copy of passport.
• PhD in China Subprogram: Applicants shall submit their PhD in China Subprogram Application Form , one copy of notarized Academic Record of undergraduate and postgraduate education, Degree Certificate and their Chinese versions respectively, 1 recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute in host countries, 2 recommendation letters from relevant experts, the HSK transcript or the equivalent transcript from the Confucius Institute and a copy of passport.
Ⅳ. Application Time: till December 16th, 2012
Ⅴ. Application Procedure
1. Applicants shall get a recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute in host countries or the designated university (lists attached).
3. After online application, all the required application documents should be mailed together to Confucius Institute Headquarters.(Address：129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District,Beijing,China 100088 Tel：86-10-58595962)
Note: Xiamen University has set up 15 Confucius Institutes around the world (contact information attached). Applicants can contact them to get recommendation letters or other Confucius Institutes in host countries.
Ⅵ . Selection and Notification
Applications will first go through XMU's qualification examination. After being accepted by XMU, the applications will be forwarded to Confucius China Study Plan Expert Committee for appraisal. Admission results will be announced by Confucius Institute Headquarters no later than the spring of 2013 and Letter of Admission will be mailed by XMU afterwards. The first batch of candidates will start their programs from the autumn of 2013.
Ⅶ . Scope of Subsidies
The subsidies for the Sino-Foreign Joint PhD Subprogram and PhD in China Subprogram may include: in China research fund, tuition, lodging and living stipend, library stipend, in-China health and accident insurance, as well as expenditures for attending academic conference in related areas (one time per year), round-trip international transportation, and other living and work condition support provided by the Chinese and/or oversea universities hosting the program. The Headquarters will provide each approved candidate a subsidy of up to 200,000 RMB per year. Please log on to http://cis.chinese.cn for information about the specific amount of subsidies.
Ⅷ . Contact information
Confucius Institute Headquarters
Address：129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District,Beijing,China 100088
Tel ： 86-10-58595962 58595931 Fax ： 86-10-58595842 58595937
Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian, China 361005
Tel ： +86 (0)592 2184792 218375 Fax ： +86 (0)592 2180256